New to Year2 September 2023
Meet the Goldfish Class Team
Class Teacher: Mrs Choudhury
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Spears
1:1 Teaching Assistants: Mrs Rouse and Mrs Edwardes
Miss Turvey also teaches Goldfish Class every Tuesday morning.
A class charter is a set of rules, promises or guidelines that children and teachers have all agreed on for the classroom. We created this to help children understand that they have certain rights in the classroom. These rights are important, as they help to keep them safe and happy while they receive their education.
Please click Class Charter to view what Goldfish Class has agreed.
Please see our /docs/Goldfish_Class_Weekly_Timetable_23-24.docx to see what we get up to each day.
Spring One Early Morning Work
Our Early Morning Work focus for this half term is going to be on our handwriting presentation and spelling of the Key Stage 1 Common Exception Words. Each morning we will focus on five words, practising how to spell each one correctly and then writing one sentence for each spelling words in our neatest handwriting.
Please see a list of the Key Stage 1 Common Exception Words.
This term we are going to read the following books.
The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl.
Mama Panya’s Pancakes by Mary and Rich Chamberlain.
Our Learning in Spring 1
In English this half term, we will be focusing on the text 'Orion and the Dark' by Emma Yarlett. The children will be focusing on the following writing outcomes:
-Descriptive poem about flying
-Write a diary entry
- Sequncce story events
-To write a recount in role as a
character diary entry
-Letter of advice
In Maths this half term, we will be focusing on addition and subtraction, shape and money. The children will be focusing on the following small steps of learning:
Addition and Subtraction
- adding two 2-digit numbers with and without regrouping
- subtracting two 2-digit numbers with and without exchanging
- mixed addition and subtraction problems
- missing number problems
- recognising 2D and 3D shapes
- counting sides and vertices on 2D shapes
- drawing 2D shapes
- lines of symmetry
- sorting 2D shapes
- counting faces, edges and vertices on 3D shapes
- sorting 3D shapes
- making patterns with 2D and 3D shapes
- counting money in pounds and pence
- choosing notes and coins
- making the same amount
- comparing amounts of money
- calculate with money
- making a pound
- finding change
- solving two-step problems
In Science this half term, we will be looking at:
- Noticing that animals, including humans, have offspring which grow into adults
- Finding out about and describing the basic needs of animals, including humans, for survival
- Describing the importance for humans of exercise, eating the right amounts of different types of food and hygiene
In Geography this half term, we will be looking at 'Place Knowledge'
- Understanding geographical similarities and differences through studying the human and physical geography of a small area of the United Kingdom, and of a small area in a contrasting non-European country
In Art this half term, we will be learning about 'Printing'. We will explore artists and describe the similarities and differences between pieces of art work and their own. We will also:
- Use a range of materials, objects and processes creatively to develop printing skills
- Develop control of a range of tools and materials
- Develop printing techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- select appropriate tools and materials to design and create
How do we show care for others?
Why does it matter?
Dreams and Goals
- Aspirations, how to achieve goals and understanding the emotions that go with this